Friday, October 17, 2008

Rainy Days and Wednesdays

On Wednesday, our department went to the State Fair of Texas. We hoped against hope that the rain would stay away, but it rained most of the day. That didn't stop us -- we had a good time anyway. Fortunately, we had nice cool weather all day, even if we were dashing in and out of the rain. I got to pet Elsie the cow, eat a fried Hostess Sno Ball, view sand sculptures, marvel at the auto show, and see Big Tex. When you get right down to it, Big Tex is a bit creepy. I captured him on video, but I'll upload it later. Most of the rides were closed, but I'm not much of a ride person anyway. The atmosphere was fun. I saw some terrific crafts (including some gorgeous needlepoint work) and a butter sculpture commemorating the King Tut exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art. I met our group at the fair around 10:00 and we left around 3:30 so we could beat rush hour traffic. I missed the bird show, but I did see an interesting exhibit by the Mexican Historical society about the history of Mexican culture in Dallas. Many of the old neighborhoods are disappearing, and a project is underway to gather information about these old neighborhoods and preserve them for posterity. Right now, so much of it is not written down -- the stories are passed down orally -- and there's a danger of it just disappearing. Jeff was relieved that I didn't come home all fired up about the new cars I saw at the fair. The only one that I was really excited about was a Saab 9-3 convertible. I could really see myself driving that car. Maybe if I find a spare $40K lying around and I don't have to pay off any debts, I'll get one for myself someday. My boss took a picture of me behind the wheel, so at least I can prove that I sat in one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Upon closer inspection, I think you're correct; Big Tex IS a bit creepy, but I want to see him anyway. Did you get to hear him say "Howdy Folks, this is Big Tex?"

Cristy said...

Deep fried what? I'm kidding. It takes things a little longer to get all the way out here, but I know what you're talking about. My favorite is fried Oreos. It outs me in to sugar shock every time.

Big Tex is creepy. That's why I only admire from afar.

Love you,

C

Scott said...

Yes, I heard Big Tex say his famous words, but it's still a bit creepy. I think it's his face - he looks almost like something in a bad wax museum. I think this is the first time I saw him actually speak and I captured a short video clip of it.

I don't think I'll be trying as many fried goodies next time I go to the fair. It set my digestive system off track a bit and I'm just now back to normal. I think if the weather had been nicer, I might have spent more $ on the rides.