Sunday, October 12, 2008

I Christen Thee... Pearl!

OK, I've never done this, but due to the influence of my dear friend Karen, I have named my new car. Because Mitsubishi's name for the car's color is Kalapana Black Pearl, I shall call her Pearl! And when she's feeling saucy, her name will be Pearlie May, after Pearl Bailey. Everyone, say hello to Pearl, and treat her with her due respect. Or she might just get slappy. The original Pearl car was Karen's Kia Optima, which was a lovely White Pearl color, and I hope my Pearl can live up to the name. She's a lovely car and I'm enjoying driving her back and forth to work.

It's been a quiet weekend. Mom and Dad were more on the go than I was. They went to a concert in Shreveport, LA on Friday (I think it was a Bill Gaither concert, but I'm not sure) and then to a family reunion on Saturday. I'm always a bit undecided about going to the family reunion. Sometimes I think I can go, but then I find a reason not to go, and then I regret not going. So, I think that next year, I'm just going to go unless something like an actual exam or a paper keeps me from doing it. Mom said they had a great time. From Lewisville, it's not a long drive at all to New Boston -- just about 2.5 hours -- and Saturday traffic is generally manageable in Dallas.

Our department is going to the State Fair on Wednesday. I'm going to meet them there instead of driving all over the Metroplex. Several of us are doing the same thing. The State Fair is still a new experience for me. Jeff went often when he was growing up, so it doesn't offer the same thrill for him as it does for me. We never went as kids -- it was just too far to drive -- and I like the atmosphere there. I'll ride the little fair standbys such as the Tilt-a-Whirl and the Scrambler, but I do not like heights, so I won't get on the huge Ferris Wheel. If I take three cans of food, I can get into the fair for $1.

Yikes! It's time for bed. But I'll share some interesting sites that I've just come across. Both of them are great for strolling down memory lane.

Take care!

5 comments:

Cristy said...

After I bought my Eagle Talon, I decided that it needed name, too. Since it was black, I decided to name him Oliver. But I always liked saying it the way Zsa Zsa Gabor (or was it Eva. Like I could ever keep them straight) said it on Green Acres. Daniel says he's glad we didn't name our son Oliver.

Love You,

C

Scott said...

I remember Green Acres. It was Eva, and she always said "Olivah!" I think she was the best part of that show. But I hate to betray my ignorance. Why did you name a black car Oliver? Mom always had a name for her car: Jezebel. And my grandmother named her car Nellie-Belle. I remember Oliver. I think you let me drive him once right after you got it. Wasn't it that time when we all met at Denny's? I remember your mom calling me and inviting me, saying "Moon Over My Hammy!" Those were the days. I don't know that I've been in a Denny's since.

Love you,
Scott

Cristy said...

I named him Oliver because he was black like a black olive. Don't question, just accept.

Love you,

C

Scott said...

I thought there was some deep, mystical tie between the color black and the name Oliver. I did a Google search, but found nothing, and I figured it was a popular music reference that I just didn't get. I didn't think of the obvious solution!

Love,
Scott

Cristy said...

I'm not that deep. trust me.

Love you,

C