Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's Wednesday

Well, I've had the car for two days. I must admit, it looks very sharp and stylish. I've never had a black car before. I'll have to take a picture soon and post it online. I have finally been able to stop going to the dealer for one thing or another, but I'm going back on Saturday to get my free iPod adapter. I had to stop by the shop yesterday because the tire pressure monitor was illuminated. It turns out all four tires were low because the car has been sitting for a while. I've discovered some neat things about the audio system and I've been trying out the Sirius programming. I figured out how to tune into the handy traffic and weather updates every 4 minutes for Dallas/Fort Worth and the Out Q gay channel. The car does seem to have better low-end acceleration than the last car, but I don't know if it's because of the reported improvements made to the engine in 2008 or if it's just because it's a new car. 

I received a summons for jury duty today. But not just any jury duty summons, my gentle readers; this is for District Court. If I need to report for jury duty, I have to drive to Sherman -- which is almost 60 miles from Lewisville -- and show up in full business attire. Fortunately, I have a suit to wear, and it's also fortunate that the summons is for mid-October. We'll have to do some shuffling around here to make sure that Jeff still makes it to the bus stop, and I'll have to leave the house early.

I briefly dated someone years ago (in the pre-Jeff years) who volunteered to serve on a grand jury. I couldn't understand why he did this. He was usually in court for at least a week at a time and had to look at the most godawful crime scene photos. To me, jury duty is something vaguely unpleasant that we all have to do occasionally, but I don't want to raise my hand and volunteer for it. It knocks your schedule out of whack and if you have kids or other obligations, you have to make all kinds of special arrangements. Jurors in Fort Worth miss the old Tandy Subway parking lot, because it used to be a free way for them to get downtown. They could get off the subway and walk across the street to the courthouse. Now, they either have to find parking downtown -- which is not a cheap prospect -- or park for free at LaGrange Field (home of Fort Worth's minor league baseball team - the Fort Worth Cats) and catch a shuttle into downtown. 

OK - that's my latest yawn. I'm about to make my lunch and crawl into bed. Good night, all! Enjoy the rest of your week. 

1 comment:

Cristy said...

For the next fourteen years I will be able to use the excuse that I have children at home that I cannot leave. AFter that, it's all downhill.

I got a summons for Federal Courtin Ocala, Fl. That is about 75miles from here. Sometimes it pays to be a stay at home mom.

I'm like you, though. It's not something I'm going to raise my hand for.

Love you,
C