Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wrapping Up 2008

It's almost time to say goodbye to 2008 and file it behind us. It's been an amazing year in many ways, and also a sucky year in many ways. Many things have happened this year, some of them good and some of them were not quite so good. This is just a partial list based on what came to my mind when I originally wrote the post.

  • I started this blog, much to the joy of people everywhere! Pretty soon, this blog will be compulsory reading in college classes around the world, and there have been talks of a Lifetime TV movie. I guess I'd better bring the level of writing up a notch or two. When my blog writings are compiled into leather-bound volumes, I'll let posterity decide whether this was a good thing or something that never should have happened.
  • I reconnected with two of my dearest friends from high school, Cristy and Francie. I had just temporarily lost touch with Cristy (we can always pick up right where we left off), but I hadn't talked to Francie in about 18 years. This was such a joy for me. And I got to see Cristy, Daniel, and the kids at Thanksgiving!
  • I've kept in touch with Robin Box (Bray), whom I've known since first grade. She looked out for me then and she's still looking out for me now. She's such a loving and giving person.
  • I'm still gainfully employed at RadioShack. Let's hope that trend continues while I finish my master's degree!
  • My family is still in good health and good spirits. Mom is still full of vim and vigor, and is keeping it real out in the Settlement. Give her a big shout-out, yo!
  • My dad can finally hear what he has been missing for the past 20 years, since he now has hearing aids! Give him a big shout-out, yo... but do it in a normal tone of voice since he can hear you better now.
  • My cousin Mike and his wife Debbie just bought a house in Fort Worth, and we all went there for a fantastic Christmas Day hootenanny. My uncle Charles and my aunt Debbie (not the same Debbie as my cousin's wife - we're not that liberal of a family) also moved into a new house in River Oaks, and we all went over there for Thanksgiving.
  • I have successfully completed two more semesters of graduate school, and I'm marching onwards towards graduation. Hopefully there are just two more semesters to go, provided that all of the classes I need are available. If I have to do "filler" classes to remain part-time in school, I'll look into interpretive dance classes or something.
  • We now have Barack Obama in the White House, and he seems to be trying to boost the economy and try to bring the country together, if that is at all possible. I don't remember a President-Elect diving in and getting busy as early as he has done.
  • A gay marriage ban was overturned in Connecticut.

Now, for the bad...

  • The saddest news from me this year is the end of my relationship with Jeff. In some ways, I never thought it would have ever happened, yet it happened so quickly. We had almost nine years together of good times and bad times, and I know that I am a richer person today for having known him and loved him.
  • We had to say goodbye to our dear cat Nicholas Longsworth at the end of April. Nicky was such a special kitty, and his passing still brings tears to my eyes. We grieved terribly over his death (he had to be put to sleep - he had FIP and was no longer eating or drinking) and I cannot bring myself to adopt other kitties yet. I had him for twelve wonderful years. Without a doubt, he was the most loving kitty I have ever known. He and Jeff were best buds and often took naps together.
  • We all had to share the burden of the economy this year. Higher gas prices meant higher prices for everything, so we all had to save our pennies where we could. A silver lining here was that people actually began reducing their demand for gas, which ultimately helped drive down the cost.
  • More economic woes: So many people have lost their jobs, and so many companies have had to close. The parent company for Bennigan's closed all of the restaurants very quickly, giving their employees very little notice, and some of the final paychecks actually bounced. More companies may end up closing after the first of the year.
  • Constitutional bans on gay marriage passed in several states, most notably in California. The Attorney General in California feels that the constitutional ban is itself against California's constitution, and therefore should be voided.
  • In Arkansas, it is no longer legal for gay people to adopt children. Actually, the ban is specifically for unmarried couples, so it actually affects heterosexuals too, but it was targeted at gay couples. This is truly sad, considering there are so many children who need loving homes.
  • We have had so many deaths of famous people this year. Here's a link to a slide show.
If I keep focusing on the bad, I'm going to get depressed, so I'll end now.

I don't have any specific New Year's Eve plans this year, and I don't think anyone does at our place. We're probably just going to hang out and order pizza or something. But wherever you end up spending your New Year's Eve, I hope you ring in 2009 with excitement and anticipation. And I send you all warm Happy New Year's hugs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there handsome...

Happy New Year!!!!

-hugs-

Cristy said...

I'm glad to see that your joy list is longer than your not so joy list. That makes a pretty good year in my book.

And I never knew that about Robin Box (Bray). I always liked her. I like the fact that you have someone who is looking out for you.

And your mom and dad just crack me up. I miss your mom. Tell her I think about her a lot.

Let's see how long our lists are at the end of this year!

Love you,

C