Sunday, April 5, 2009

Getting Close to the End

I discovered something interesting this week, gentle readers. This week was the first week of registration for the Summer and Fall terms, and I was disappointed to find that the final class I needed in my degree plan was already closed for the Fall term. Anyone who has gone to college knows how frustrating it is to watch and wait for that required class to finally appear on the class roster. However, it was being offered during the Summer term, so I grabbed it. I filled out my application for Summer Financial Aid (which consisted of telling UNT that I wanted it) and discovered another unpleasant truth. I had to take at least 4 graduate hours to receive the financial aid, and my class was only three hours. The only answer was to take another class. So now, I'll be taking six hours during the Summer term. I've avoided Summer classes as much as possible during school, but I figured I'd have to take some eventually. Minor bummer, but it has a happy ending. I double-checked my degree plan and it looks like I will have completed all of the hours necessary to graduate in August instead of December. 

I'm strongly considering starting another graduate program right afterwards, though. I've always been curious about the Library Science program at UNT. Training is one of the first things to be cut when businesses have to trim budgets, and I'd like to have another feather in my cap. So, I'll see if I can get into the program in the Fall. If not, maybe I'll wait for the Spring term. I checked with Glenna (my former director) and she suggested I go for it. My current degree and a Library Sciences degree actually fit together pretty well, since more and more technology is being utilized in libraries. 

1 comment:

Cristy said...

In seventh and eighth grades, I was a library aide. I had seriously considered Library Sciences as a major. As much as I love the library and love to read, it seemed a no brainer. But that was part of the problem at the time. And then I decided on Marine Biology as a sophomore.

When I go back to school, which will be a couple of years,Library Sciences was one of those at the top of my list. I am too freaked out right now.

Love you,

Cristy