Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Late, Great Beatrice Arthur

Today is a sad day. We lost a tremendous talent. Beatrice Arthur passed away today from cancer, according to an AP news story. She was 86. I have always adored Bea Arthur. I used to make the joke that if "Bea Arthur didn't sing it, it's not on my iPod." Of course, that was just a slightly facetious allusion to my fondness for show tunes and standards. But while Bea Arthur did make many notable stage appearances, including the original productions of Threepenny Opera, Fiddler on the Roof, and Mame, most of us know her today from one of her groundbreaking television sitcoms. She will always be known as Maude Finlay on Norman Lear's Maude and as Dorothy Zbornak (later Hollingsworth) on Susan Harris's The Golden Girls. Did anyone have a greater facility with a one-liner, or have sharper comic timing than Beatrice Arthur?

Here are some YouTube clips I found.







What a talent!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Yes, it was, indeed a sad day. Today Paul, Kev and I went to the Iris Show at the Fort Worth Botanical Garden and they also had an Art Show going on. There was a "self portrait" painting there by an artist, and I joked and said "look, it's Bea Arthur!!!"

Then I got home and saw on CNN.com that she passed away....weird, no?

Bea Spontaneous, Bea Naked, Bea Happy....Just Bea.

Scott said...

That is odd. It was indeed a sad day. The reports said she had cancer, so I hope she didn't suffer too much at the end.

Bea Happy!