Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Fabulous Four: Massachusetts, Iowa, Vermont, and Connecticut

Two more states have legalized gay marriage: Iowa and Vermont. Vermont's state legislature overrode a governor's veto to pass the bill, while Iowa's Supreme Court decided that the ban on gay marriage was unconstitutional. While I am thrilled beyond words for these signs of progress in both states, I'm especially encouraged by the victory in Iowa. This brings us to four states who have approved gay marriage: Massachusetts, Iowa, Vermont, and Connecticut. According to the Associated Press, four other states (Maine, New York, New Jersey, and New Hampshire) have gay marriage bills in various stages of the legislative process.

For opponents of gay marriage, isn't it just a matter of time before it becomes a reality? It's not going to be tomorrow, and it's not going to be next year, but someday, it will come. I'm optimistic that I'll see it during my lifetime.

And while we're at it, forget about the Gay Agenda. Most gays couldn't tell you what the Gay Agenda was. I, for one, didn't receive that fax. Maybe the Gay Agenda was scrawled on a cocktail napkin or something, such as those wonderful MikWright napkins that say things like "I am woman, here me whore", and could be stuck to the heel of a Prada shoe. I do admit to being mildly concerned, since for all I know, I could have action items assigned to me that are obviously not getting done. I'd hate to lose my gay card. I get great discounts with it.

The gay marriage issue is hitting home in a big way. I carried my former partner on my medical insurance as a domestic partner, and he had some medical expenses that were covered. I was glad that we had the insurance, since he was a full-time college student who would have otherwise had no coverage. And let's face it --it's still pretty liberal in Texas for a Texas-based company to provide domestic partnership benefits, so RadioShack gets snaps for that. However, since the federal government does not officially recognize same-sex couples, neither does the IRS, so any claims paid on Jeff's behalf are considered additional taxable income for me.

2 comments:

Cristy said...

Isn't it a sign of how screwed up our government is that when you get a check from the insurance companay that you pay premiums on month after month, they tax you on it? THere is no logic to the way our government doesn't run.

I am glad that people are starting to realize that you can't regulate who can marry and who can't. Maybe everyone will start to realize that people are people, and we all have the same rights.

Scott said...

I think we should start the Hawaiian platform for 2012. :) I understand why the taxing happens, but it wouldn't happen if official recognition took place.

As usual, you make a whole lotta sense! It's one of the many reasons you're one of my favorite people in this world.

Love you!
Scott