Sunday, January 25, 2009

Favorite Restaurant in Fort Worth?

As a life-long resident of Fort Worth and the greater Metroplex, and as someone who is not the skinniest person to come down the pike, I've had many a great meal in my day. But this past year, I discovered what has become my favorite restaurant in Fort Worth. It's one of those places that when we go out to lunch, I automatically put it first and my fellow cubicle dwellers often indulge me, since they like it too. It's Byblos, which is a Fort Worth institution on the North Side of town. Byblos is a neighbor to one of my favorite Tex-Mex places: El Rancho Grande. But while El Rancho is a now and then treat, I could eat at Byblos all the time. Generally, I stick with vegetarian food while I'm there: the salads, spreads (hummus and tahini), and vegetables. I also love the dohlmas and falafel.

On Friday, to celebrate the warm weather, Fran suggested we go out to lunch. When she asked where I wanted to go, I said "Byblos!" It's one of her favorites too, and we found two others who eagerly wanted to enjoy the lunch buffet. For $9.99, it's all you can eat Lebanese goodness, including dessert and unlimited pita bread. A few months ago, I took Shane there for lunch and he loved it!

Byblos is an exotic place -- at least on the inside. I've never been there at night when they have belly dancers, and I haven't ventured into the hookah lounge yet. Since I live in Lewisville now, I have to be content with Byblos for lunch, but if I lived closer, I would be there much more often.

5 comments:

Cristy said...

I love The Big Ranch for Tex Mex. I haven't been there in years. Of course, it's kinda hard when I live 1200 miles away. One place I loved for hamburgers that isn't there anymore is Under the Tower. It was off of Camp Bowie and was under a water tower. There were no preformed burgers in that place. And they were so big, I had a hard time getting my mouth around one. Insert snide comments here. I could talk food all day. I'd rather eat it, because now I have a mad craving for Tex Mex and hummusand homemade fries.

Love you,

C

Scott said...

I've never been to Big Ranch. Actually, I've never heard of it, so now I'm going to have to look it up. :) I remember Under the Tower. When I lived with Steven, we could walk down there for burgers. They were so good. And unfortunately, it is gone. There is a place in Arlington that is almost as good: Simply Burgers. It's worth a trip for a good chili cheeseburger. Now, I'm hungry too!

I'll ignore the obvious joke I could make about wrapping your mouth around anything. :)

Love you,
Scott

Cristy said...

Just so you know, you are one of my very favorite people. And because of that I will only laugh and not point as I say "El Rancho Grande" is loosely translated as "The Big Ranch".

And thanks for not commenting about my mouth. And because of that, I will snicker quietly and not laugh out loud.

Love you,

C

Scott said...

OMG, sometimes I'm so ditzy! :-D I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. I thought you had discovered some new Tex-Mex place and keeping it a secret. Thank you for not pointing AND laughing. But now I get to have a good laugh at myself, which we all need to do now and then.

Love you,
Scott

Anonymous said...

We'll have to go to the Hookah lounge sometime. It's great!