Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pet Peeves


We all have pet peeves. You know, those little things that people do that just annoy the crap out of others. I don't think I have too many, but one of my big ones is talking on the phone in the bathroom. Please, please, please, if we are talking on the telephone and nature calls, please put the phone down or let me call you back later. Don't take me in the bathroom with you. I've been in the men's room at work and I've seen guys at the urinals trying to keep their cellphone on one shoulder while they are taking care of business with their other hand. Couldn't they wait until they were finished before taking the call? Maybe that's another form of multi-tasking. Even worse, I've heard guys sitting on the toilet having conversations. My ex used to take this to an extreme. He would sit on the toilet and call his friend, and they would talk about their bowel movements. I never could understand why they would do this, since it was so gross, but they got the biggest kick out of it. I'm happy knowing that my friends are having satisfactory bowel movements and enjoying good digestive health, but I really don't need to know more than that.

I also grind my teeth when I hear the word irregardless. It isn't a word. The proper word is regardless. By saying irregardless, you are negating the word regardless, and you might as well not say it. I do not consider myself to be an anal grammarian in the slightest, but irregardless does cause me to cringe.

Beyond those pet peeves, I think I'm a very patient person. I try not to let things bother me. Drivers do all kinds of stupid things on the freeway, but I try not to let it bother me. If it did, I would arrive at just about any destination shaking with anger because of the traffic, and I really don't want to become that person.

Life is all too short. Be happy. That could be my anti-depressant talking, but I think it's a pretty good philosophy to live by, and it's actually harder than it sounds. I've known people who don't seem to believe that they deserve to be happy, so they put themselves through all kinds of needless misery.

I'm going to go to bed now, so think about your pet peeves and discuss amongst yourselves. :-)

1 comment:

Cristy said...

I like to think that maybe I bring out teh best in someone when they take me to the bathroom with them. Of course, that doesn't really make me feel any better. The file clerk at my last job used to do that all the time. She was talking to clients, and nurses, and hospitals. What kind of crazy is that? Eewww!

Cristy