Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hang In There - It's Friday!

Good evening, dear and gentle readers. I hope that you all have had a week full of enlightenment and perhaps even a little intrigue. For those of us at the HOPA (House of Perpetual Autumn), we've been fairly slug-like. I made a strong vow on Monday to get most of my homework done before the weekend, and I've really let that strong vow fall by the wayside. Fortunately, the workload is not that extreme, so I should be able to comfortably catch up tomorrow night and Saturday afternoon.

My dad just got hearing aids. He has had difficulty hearing for a long time, most likely because of the constant noise of working at Lockheed. Now, he can fully participate in conversations, and he's excited about it. I'm looking forward to going out to the family manse on the west side and talking to him. Mom and Dad had to replace their air conditioner too. Mom had retired to the back room to get on her computer while Dad was down at lodge. When he returned, the a/c unit was blowing smoke and shooting off sparks. I'm glad he got home in time!

We've all heard about the big economic news this week. AIG is being bailed out with a loan, Lehman Brothers has gone bankrupt, and Bank of America bought Merrill Lynch. I have heard many commentators saying that this means more on Wall Street than on Main Street, but I wonder about that. I've read that Washington Mutual is struggling. We have had some bank failures. I just read an article on Yahoo about tent cities springing up across the country in places like Reno and Santa Barbara. I've seen blog posts from people asking for a New Deal, like FDR started back in the 1930s. Are we going to get to that point again? Or is this going to blow over soon once the market rights itself?

It's been a busy week at work. We had issues with our learning management system and the phone rang off the wall yesterday. Finally, we got things under control and the calls slacked off, but I hope this isn't something that's going to keep happening. Learners tend to lose faith in a learning system that doesn't work. We've had a massive event going on this week and most of the department has been gone. We were having meetings on campus on Monday, then down at the Convention Center the last few days, and they wrap up back at the campus tomorrow. I have been helping to hold down the fort while others are away, but I went down to the hotel tonight to help load buses. For those gentle readers who attended the 1988 Brewer High School Jr-Sr Prom at the Hilton, that hotel has been renovated into a Sheraton Spa. It went from a Hilton to a Ramada Plaza, then down to a Ramada, and then it was vacant for a long time. Fort Worth is also building a luxurious Omni hotel by the convention center, and if you have the $$$ to do it, you can buy a residence in the hotel. How's that for schwanky?

The weather has been just gorgeous here this week. We seem to be (I'm hedging because nothing is certain here) in that period of weather where fall seems like it's just around the corner. The high temperatures have been in the low to mid 80s, and night temperatures are in the low 60s. It's pleasant weather for going for a walk. I think I'll get out a bit this weekend between homework sessions.

Take care and enjoy the weekend!

No comments: