Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Hurricane Ike came ashore as a Category 3 storm and mercifully only had a storm surge of 15 feet. While that is high, Ike was predicted to have had a storm surge of about 20 feet, which would have almost completely submerged Galveston Island. As it was, Ike was a massive storm that brought flooding and heavy winds (there are photos online of massive wind damage in Houston) and they are still trying to assess the damage. Ike spent the day shimmying up through East Texas. We were supposed to get heavy rain and winds, but it was just a bit too far to the east of us, so we got some breezes and steady light rain throughout the day. Ike was a massive storm; almost as big as Texas itself. It was about 500 miles across.

I'm spending the weekend working on homework. Tonight at 3:00 am, I have to take a part in some maintenance being done by our IT department on our learning management system. I'm not sure why I have to do this part of it, since it's so minor. It shouldn't take but about 5-10 minutes to do, but I have to sit up until 3:00 am to do it. Oh, well. At least I don't have to drive in to Fort Worth. I can log in remotely from home. My goal is to have the majority of my homework done tonight so I can just enjoy the day tomorrow. 

Jeff spent the day rearranging the living room. I think it turned out very well. 

No comments: