Saturday, September 27, 2008

New Car? Sort of...

I had been considering getting a new car. I went back to the Mitsubishi dealership today because they had a special on the Outlander (a small SUV). The car was advertised at a good price, but when we got down to brass tacks, the dealer wanted me to put some money with it, and we don't have the funds to do that right now. It's kind of a shame, because the Outlander was nice. The salesperson decided to do what he could to put me in a new vehicle, but the Outlander was apparently out of the picture and so was the smaller Lancer. So, he suggested a 2009 Galant. I'm not sure how this is going to work, because the Galant is a more expensive car. This is a special Galant, though. It is all tricked up with a sunroof, power seats (which are cloth, but heated), steering wheel audio controls, 17" mag wheels, Bluetooth, and more. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, but he feels that he can get me in this car with nothing down. They have to check with the bank on Monday to see what the payment will be and the interest rate. The dealership sent me home in the new Galant so I could get a feel for it. Jeff is so confused. He keeps saying, "It's the same car!" I'm going to get it in a different color. I was a bit dismayed when he suggested the Galant, since I was really looking for something different, but the car is different enough on the inside to seem like a different car. Essentially, if we get this car, we will be getting the same car, but it's all dressed up and it will be back under factory warranty again. But if the deal falls through, we'll go back to our old car and nothing is lost. After we had dinner, I wanted to go for a little joyride, but Jeff said he knew how the Galant drove, so he went to bed. Leah went with me and she liked it. I like the sunroof more than I thought I would.

So, I don't know. I may come home from work Monday in a 2009 Galant or a 2006 Galant. Either way would be okay, but the new car would be more fun. :-) 

2 comments:

Cristy said...

I love the smell of a new car, but think about what you're getting into. Remember how long you you don't want to finance. And think about the difference in car payments and/or insurance payments. And do you really want to listen to Jeff grumble every time you go somewhere? That in itself would be enough to stop me. But Daniel's the biggest kid I have.

Sorry if I've been a downer.

Love You,

C

Scott said...

No, you're not being a downer. I've been thinking some of the same thoughts today. I have no idea what the terms are going to be. Insurance changes should be minor (it's nice to be older), but the payment and the financing terms are the key element here. It's exciting to get a new car, but it's not a necessity. The best thing is that we would be back under a factory warranty again for the next few years, and I would have some more bells and whistles to play with on my commute. And Jeff would be okay with it as long as it doesn't compromise our current financial position -- and if they put in an iPod adapter, he'd be completely on board. :) In a way, I think it's good that the car would be a newer version of what we already have. If it were drastically different, I would be more willing to compromise things. So what if the payment goes up $50 per month or if I have to take on another 6-year loan? It's a new Eclipse! But since it's the same car, I can easily walk away from it if it doesn't work out for us. I do have minor concerns about the mileage on the car now. Since nothing has gone wrong yet, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'll make a post and share the news of what happens.

Love you,
Scott