Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Weekend Update

Alas, another week is upon us.

We had nationwide protests this weekend in cities all over the United States (and in other parts of the world) protesting the passage of Proposition 8 in California. We did not make it to the Dallas rally as I had hoped. I got my times mixed up and before I knew it, we had completely missed it. For the next protest, I'll be more on the ball. The Dallas turnout had about 1,000 people show up, which was one of the largest LGBT rallies since back in the 1980s. I'll be on the lookout for the next protest; I've told Jeff I want to go to the next one. I hope our parents aren't surprised to see us on the news. :) I'll keep my ears to the ground about the next one. Jeff said that there was an informal gathering on campus that loudly debated gay marriage. A well-dressed woman walked by and said, "Well, of course gay marriage didn't pass. It goes against tradition." A young guy with multiple piercings looked at her and said, "Well, if we're going for traditions, shouldn't you be at home instead of being on a college campus?" I don't think her response was recorded for posterity.

The weather is lovely now, and Jeff and I actually ventured out of the house to have a nice lunch on Saturday and run some errands. We had company Saturday night. The assistant manager (who helped us get this fabulous apartment with a lake view) is moving to Chicago, so we had her over for a final home-cooked meal. We'll miss Amanda terribly and we wish her the best of luck in the Windy City.

School is a bit trying right now. We're trying to do a group project, but it's splitting into factions, making a difficult project even more difficult. I'm one of the project managers and my main responsibility seems to involve running interference between our groups and the instructor, so I've sent off a desperate email for clarification and direction. My other class is relatively trouble-free; I just have to keep up with weekly postings and finish my final paper by Dec 12.

I've got to work out tomorrow. I'm already losing some muscle tone in my arms, and I had just gotten some of it back! We have a pretty decent little gym here at the apartment. I've used it several times and I'm always by myself, so it's nice and peaceful. Last time, I was really butch and watched the football game while I pumped some iron. So, after work, it's gym time for me. And it's good to go there to work out, since I can focus on it. When I work out at home, I get distracted too easily.

Next week is Thanksgiving, thank goodness, and with that comes some much, much, much needed time off from work. I will be off on Tuesday and Wednesday, and the corporate office is closed on Friday, so I'll have a nice six-day weekend. We will be seeing Cristy at some point over the holiday (we've tentatively agreed on Tuesday) and I may see Francie at the Friday night Parade of Lights in Fort Worth. Thanksgiving day, we will be at my aunt and uncle's house in River Oaks, stuffing ourselves silly.

And once we get back from Thanksgiving, we will have just two weeks left in the fall semester!

No comments: