Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Love via Facebook


OK, I'm just as surprised at this as anyone. But I fell in love via Facebook, and I'm damn glad that it happened. And I'm also surprised that I'm like a giggly teenager whenever my boyfriend and I exchange text messages throughout the day. Life is full of surprises -- some are horrible, and some are wonderful, and some of them are middle of the road. This happens to be one of the wonderful ones.

Robert and I actually met on Facebook several months ago. I had created a Facebook profile, and a doctoral student from Texas Women's University had spotted me and began to pursue me. He was a nice guy who was incredibly intelligent, but he was coming on in such an intense way that I immediately began to backtrack. I was checking out his Facebook friends list and noticed Robert. I thought Robert seemed like a nice guy who was really damn cute, so I sent him a request to add me as a friend. Robert accepted, and we began chatting with each other. The person who had contacted me from TWU eventually got frustrated with both Robert and me and de-friended us both, but Robert and I stayed in touch. I found that he was great to talk to, and that we shared many common interests. After a while, I started to flirt a bit with him, and he seemed like he was responsive to that. After all, I still had a little crush on him. Finally, I worked up the nerve to just ask him out, and he said that he'd love to meet me. We went out on June 17 and had an incredible evening. We had some follow-up dates very quickly thereafter that confirmed my initial feeling, which was that I had found someone truly special. Fortunately, he felt the same way about me, and we've begun spending as much time together as we can.

He is a sweet, wonderful guy who is beyond cute, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this adventure is going to take us. I'm not seeing anyone else besides Robert, nor do I want to. I've canceled all of my subscriptions to dating sites. He has captured my heart. This all happened very quickly, I must say, but we're both completely fine with this.

Now that I'm thinking about him again, I'm turning into a giggly teenager again. I didn't really get to do this when I actually was a teenager, so I'm enjoying it now.


4 comments:

Cristy said...

Love finds us in the strangest places. Let me help you out: giggle, giggle, giggle.

Love you

Cristy

Scott said...

Yes, it does! And I'm doing enough blushing and grinning (since we do send gooey text messages to each other all day) for everyone.

Love you,
Scott

Mike said...

That's a great "how we met" story, Scott. I love hearing those stories - like the ones in When Harry Met Sally. I always find these things interesting, especially when it's the beginning of a long term thing. Hopefully this one will be all that you want it to be. Have fun!

Cheers,
Mike

Scott said...

Aww - thanks, Mike! I thought it was an interesting story, and of course, I'm overjoyed with the way it has turned out. :) You have a great holiday weekend, my friend!

Scott